A lightly spiced cucumber and apply chutney recipe. Simple and easy to make.
Ingredients for Cucumber and Apple Chutney:
- 2 lb (1 kg) cucumber
- 2 lb (1 kg) cooking apples
- 1lb 8 oz (650 g) onions)
- 1 pint (600ml) malt vinegar
- 1 lb (500 g) demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Method for Cucumber and Apple Chutney:
- Peel, core and chop the apples. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds (if a ridge variety with spiky skin peel as well). Chop finely.
- Place the apples, onions and cucumber into a pan with the vinegar and bring to the boil and simmer until soft.
- Add the sugar, salt and cayenne and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue simmering until the chutney thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Uses up some of those surplus cucumbers that you get at times when growing your own. Do allow a few weeks to a month for the chutney to mature and the flavours fully develop.
Makes about 5 lbs (2.5 kg) of chutney.
This Cucumber and Apple chutney, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information