Recipe for Rhubarb Chutney sent in by: Sonia (sontab)
Another smashing rhubarb chutney. Takes three months to mature, but worth waiting for.
Ingredients for Rhubarb Chutney:
- 4 lbs rhubarb
- 6 large onions
- 4 large baking apples
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 piece of fresh ginger (palm sized)
- 2lb 4oz demerara sugar
- 3 pints malt vinegar
- 1 tblspn salt
- 1 heaped tspn curry powder
- 2lb 4oz sultanas
Method for Rhubarb Chutney:
- Chop all the fruit and vegetables, add the vinegar, sugar and spices and bring slowly to the boil, stirring now and again.
- Simmer for about two hours (don’t forget to stir as it will stick) until thick.
- Pour into heated jars and seal.
This chutney needs to mature for at least three months.
General Chutney Making Information
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...