Recipe for Creamy Beetroot Curry submitted by Madcat.
Serves 8 as a side dish, so make a vat and freeze the rest! It makes a great colourful side curry when in a hurry some other time.
Ingredients for Creamy Beetroot Curry:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, very finely chopped
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp madras curry paste
- 1 green chilli, halved lengthways
- 400g can chopped tomatoes or 1 lb ripe home grown tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp ground almonds (optional – I often don’t use)
- 4 tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 1kg (peeled weight) raw beetroot, peeled, halved and thickly sliced
Method for Creamy Beetroot Curry:
- Heat the oil in a large lidded pan, stir in the onions and cook for 8 mins until soft. Tip in the mustard seeds and cook for 1 min until toasted. Stir through the curry paste and sizzle for 3 mins.
- Mix the beetroot through the spicy onions, then add the chilli, tomatoes and 2 cans of water (about 1 ¼ pints). Cover and simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the beetroot is tender. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and cook until the sauce is thick. You can freeze it at this point.
- Take off the heat, then stir through the almonds, yoghurt and some seasoning (salt and lemon juice). Top with yoghurt and serve with basmati rice, if you like.