Ingredients for Courgette Cake:
- 8 oz plain wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz soft brown sugar
- 1 oz walnuts or pecans chopped
- 1 oz sultanas
- 6 oz (2 bananas) ripe banana mashed
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 8 oz finely grated courgette (no need to peel)
- 5 fl oz sunflower oil
Method for Courgette Cake:
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt into large bowl. Add sugar, nuts and sultanas.
- Mix well, then add mashed banana and beaten eggs. Stir in grated vegetables and oil.
- Beat mixture thoroughly for one minute (it will be slightly lumpy).
- Butter (or line with greaseproof paper) a 9in cake tin (or a large loaf tin). Put mixture into tin and bake for 1 hour at gas mark 4 (350 F/175 C) until skewer comes out clean from centre of cake.
You can use half carrots/ half courgettes. Can top with sweetened cream cheese (but the cake is sweet enough anyway).