Perfect with cheese. It can be used after about a month but is better left for longer so that the flavours can continue to develop.
Like most chutney it keeps with the jar sealed for a year or more.
Ingredients for Gooseberry Chutney:
- 2 lbs (900 g) Gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 12 oz (340 g) raisins
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 pints (1 ¼ litre) white wine vinegar
- 8 0z (225 g) soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
Method for Gooseberry Chutney:
- Gently cook the gooseberries in a little water until they have softened.
- Add chopped onions and vinegar and cook for 10 minutes or so.
- Add remainder of the ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the mixture is thick
- Pour into hot, sterilised jars and seal.
Makes about 3 lbs (1 ½ kilo) of chutney.
General Chutney Making Information