Recipe for Chilli Jam submitted by: Jo Mattinson
This is a super way to use courgette gluts and is very lovely – one of our favourite condiments.
Ingredients for Chilli Jam:
- 4 medium sized courgettes, grated
- 1 tin tomatoes (or equivalent in the real thing) chopped
- 1lb 10z sugar
- 9 fl oz red wine vinegar
- thumb sized lump of ginger, grated
- bulb of garlic, minced
- several fresh chillis chopped finely, or dried chillies chopped (to taste – I use about 8)
Method for Chilli Jam:
- Put everything in the pan together and boil for about an hour or until the mixture looks thickish.
- It doesn’t have to set like jam and it doesn’t have to be as thick as conventional chutney, but it shouldn’t have too much loose liquid.
- Put into sterilised jars.
- Can be eaten immediately.
This recipe can be adapted to use up gluts. I have made it with red peppers, celery and even rhubarb ! The courgette one is our favourite.