Full of the spicy flavours of the middle east. Serve with rice, couscous or flat bread.
Ingredients for Spicy Chickpea and Aubergine Stew:
- 3 large aubergines, cubed
- 7 oz (200 g) chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 or 4 garlic gloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 medium hot chilli – de-seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 3 lbs (1.35 kilo) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 3 14 oz (400 g) cans of chopped tomatoes
- ¼ pint (142 ml) vegetable stock – not necessary if using undrained canned tomatoes
- Salt and ground black pepper
Method for Spicy Chickpea and Aubergine Stew:
- Soak the chickpeas overnight and then drain into a saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Place the aubergines in a colander and sprinkle them with salt. Sit the colander in a bowl and leave to 30 minutes to allowed the bitter juices to escape.
- Rinse the aubergines with cold water and dry on kitchen roll.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and chilli if using and cook until soft.
- Add the spices and cook, stirring, for a few seconds.
- Add the aubergines and stir. Cook for about a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock if using, and chickpeas and season with salt and pepper. Bring up to a boil, stirring to distribute evenly.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with long grain rice, couscous or flat bread.