Recipe for Marrow Jam sent in by: Granny Dumplin
You’ll need to use jam sugar for this (or ordinary sugar with added liquid or powdered pectin) as marrows have none! The lemon juice adds the necessary acid.
Ingredients for Marrow Jam:
- 6 lb x marrow peeled, seeded and diced (1 x 1 inch cubes)
- 6 lb x jam sugar
- 4 x lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 oz x root ginger, chopped & bruised (bashed with a rolling pin to release the natural ginger oils)
Method for Marrow Jam:
- Place all diced marrow into large bowl then add and toss in all the sugar, cover and place in fridge over night.
- Place marrow and sugar mix into a preserving pan. Add lemon zest and juice to mix.
- Tie the bruised ginger root in to a muslin/cheese cloth bag and add to pot.
- Bring mixture to boil & simmer until it jelly’s on a cold plate. Strain and jar as you would for any other kind of jam.
Use as any other preserve (beautiful on wholemeal toast) or as a replacement for apple sauce with any hot/cold Pork dishes).
General Information on Jam Making