Ingredients for Broad Beans with Bacon and Parsley:
- 1 lb (450 g) shelled broad beans
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 large or 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Method for Broad Beans with Bacon and Parsley:
- Cook the beans until tender in boiling salted water.
- Cut the bacon into dice, heat the butter in a pan and fry the bacon and onion for 3 or 4 minutes, until the onion is soft. Blend in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the beans and add 8 fl oz (240 ml) of the cooking liquid to the bacon and onions. Bring to the boil, stirring, add the beans and reheat gently.
- Season to taste and stir in the chopped parsley.
This Broad Beans with Bacon & Parsley Recipe makes 4 good helpings. A late springtime side dish that is easy to prepare and uses fresh ingredients.
Considering the traditional side dish for bacon was broad beans in a white or parsley sauce, it is easy to see why this recipe works so well, using more or less the same ingredients in a different manner.
If you have a glut of broad beans, don’t forget that they freeze well.