This Rhubarb and Orange Jam Recipe is unusual, oranges being more associated with marmalade, but it really works well. The additional lemon zest and the orange rind makes it more like a marmalade as well. The set is different from normal, closer to a conserve.
Ingredients for Rhubarb and Orange Jam:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) rhubarb
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 thin-skinned oranges
Method for Rhubarb and Orange Jam:
- Chop the rhubarb into 1″ (2.5 cm) lengths.
- Put alternate layers of rhubarb and sugar in a bowl. Add the lemon rind and juice. Cover and leave overnight.
- Boil the oranges whole in water for about 1 hour.
- Cut the oranges (including the peel) into small pieces, discarding any pips and add to the rhubarb. Stir well.
- Place in a pan, bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
- Remove the scum and leave to cool slightly. Pot into warm sterilized jars and seal whilst still warm.
Makes about 5 lbs (2.5 kg) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making