Ingredients for Pickled Red Cabbage:
- Red Cabbage
- Spiced Vinegar
Method for Pickled Red Cabbage:
- Cut off and discard the outer discoloured leaves from the cabbage.
- Quarter and remove the tough inner stalk. Shred the cabbage, wash and drain well.
- Layer in a basin with salt between layers, ending with a layer of salt.
- Leave for 24 hours which will extract the liquid from the cabbage.
- Wash thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Pack into clean, sterilised jars and pour in cold, spiced vinegar.
- Cover the jars and label with contents and date.
Note: Ready after 1 week but if you keep it longer than 10 – 12 weeks it will loose its crispness. You can use the same recipe for Pickled White Cabbage.
For More Information on Pickles & Vinegars