Ingredients for Pickled Red Cabbage:
- Red Cabbage
- Spiced Vinegar
Method for Pickled Red Cabbage:
- Cut off and discard the outer discoloured leaves from the cabbage.
- Quarter and remove the tough inner stalk. Shred the cabbage, wash and drain well.
- Layer in a basin with salt between layers, ending with a layer of salt.
- Leave for 24 hours which will extract the liquid from the cabbage.
- Wash thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Pack into clean, sterilised jars and pour in cold, spiced vinegar.
- Cover the jars and label with contents and date.
Note: Ready after 1 week but if you keep it longer than 10 – 12 weeks it will loose its crispness. You can use the same recipe for Pickled White Cabbage.
For More Information on Pickles & Vinegars
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...