Ingredients for Celery Soup:
- 1½ lbs (700 g) celery
- 1 onion
- 1½ pints (900 ml) water or white vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g) flour
- ½ pint (300 ml) milk
Method for Celery Soup:
- Scrub the celery and scrape if necessary. Cut into 3″ (7.5 cm) lengths.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Put the vegetables into a pan with the stock or water and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer with the pan covered until the vegetables are tender.
- Either rub through a sieve or put through a blender to make a smooth purée.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Blend it well and cook for a minute or two without colouring.
- Gradually pour in the milk, stirring all the time. Simmer for a few minutes to cook.
- Pour in the celery purée, stir well and re-heat, without boiling again.
- Serve hot.
This Celery Soup Recipe serves 4. It is very easy to make this rich and creamy celery soup.