A simple recipe with a delicious result. Another way to use up the courgette glut!
Ingredients for Courgette Soup:
- 2 lbs (900 g) courgettes
- ½ lb (225 g) potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1½ pints (900 ml) water or white vegetable stock
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 oz (56 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream
Method for Courgette Soup:
- Wash the courgettes and chop into chunks. Peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- Peel and slice the onion. Crush the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic. Lightly fry for about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the potatoes to the pan, cover with half of the stock or water, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes until half-cooked..
- Add the courgette chunks, salt and pepper to taste, chopped oregano and basil and the rest of the stock or water, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Either rub through a sieve or put through a blender to make a smooth pureee.
- Return to a clean pan, re-heat and add the cream, grated parmesan and chopped chives without boiling.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of cheese on the top of the bowls.
Serves 4. A simple recipe with a delicious result.