Ingredients for Turnip and Potato Soup creamed with Lemon Balm:
- 2 tbls margarine or unsalted butter
- 1 and a half cups diced turnips peeled
- 1 cup diced potatoes peeled
- 2 tbls finely chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- 2 and a half cups chicken stock
- 1 and a half cups milk
- 2 tbls sour cream
- A dash or two of chilli sauce or Tabasco (to taste)
- 1 tbls finely chopped fresh lemon balm/verbena/mint etc.
Method for Turnip and Potato Soup creamed with Lemon Balm:
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed pan
- Add diced turnips and sauté over low heat for 5 minutes
- Add potatoes, stir to coat with butter, then add chives, and cook for 1 minute, Stirring so that vegetables do not burn.
- Add chicken stock, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Then lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until soft enough to purée.
- Purée vegetable mixture with the milk in a blender in several batches, as needed.
- Pass through strainer
- To Serve Hot: reheat the purée gently, stirring in the cream and blend.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon balm, allow to infuse for 2 mins then serve.
(To Serve Cold: transfer purée to a large bowl, stir in remaining ingredients and chill for several hours. Stir and serve)
You can use lemon Verbena or lime Mint in this recipe If you don’t have lemon verbena or lime mint available, an alternative is to use 1 teaspoon lime zest and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley instead.