Ingredients for Turnip and Potato Soup creamed with Lemon Balm:
- 2 tbls margarine or unsalted butter
- 1 and a half cups diced turnips peeled
- 1 cup diced potatoes peeled
- 2 tbls finely chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- 2 and a half cups chicken stock
- 1 and a half cups milk
- 2 tbls sour cream
- A dash or two of chilli sauce or Tabasco (to taste)
- 1 tbls finely chopped fresh lemon balm/verbena/mint etc.
Method for Turnip and Potato Soup creamed with Lemon Balm:
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed pan
- Add diced turnips and sauté over low heat for 5 minutes
- Add potatoes, stir to coat with butter, then add chives, and cook for 1 minute, Stirring so that vegetables do not burn.
- Add chicken stock, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Then lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until soft enough to purée.
- Purée vegetable mixture with the milk in a blender in several batches, as needed.
- Pass through strainer
- To Serve Hot: reheat the purée gently, stirring in the cream and blend.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon balm, allow to infuse for 2 mins then serve.
(To Serve Cold: transfer purée to a large bowl, stir in remaining ingredients and chill for several hours. Stir and serve)
You can use lemon Verbena or lime Mint in this recipe (Alternative: 1 teaspoon lime zest and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley)