Ingredients for Wholemeal Herb and Onion Bread:
- 1½ lbs (700 g) strong wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ oz (14 g) fresh yeast or ¼ (7 g) dried yeast
- ¾ pint (400 ml) water
- 1 large onion, sliced and chopped very finely
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds – optional
Method for Wholemeal Herb and Onion Bread:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cream the yeast with a little of the water and leave until frothy.
- Make a well into the flour and add the yeast, remaining water, chopped onion, herbs and oil and mix to a dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knock back with your hand or fist to remove any air pockets and knead again for a few minutes.
- Form into a smooth ball and place on a warm, greased, baking tray. Brush with water and sprinkle on the sesame seeds if used.
- Cover and leave to rise again in a warm place for about 30 minutes until it has almost doubled in size.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated oven at Gas Mark 7 (220°C/425°F) for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to Gas Mark 5 (190°C/375°F) and continue to bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Takes a healthy wholemeal loaf and adds herb flavours. Great bread for accompanying soups or with salad dishes