Ingredients for Brussels Sprout Salad:
- 1 lb (450 g) Brussels sprouts
- 2 dessert apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 oz (56 g) walnuts
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
Method for Brussels Sprout Salad :
- Take the fresh Brussels sprouts, preferably smaller rather than larger ones, and peel off any loose or yellowing outer leaves.Do not follow the traditional recipe of cutting a cross into the base and boiling until the house smells of cabbage and the sprouts are a mush. Bring a pan of water to the boil.
- Drop the prepared sprouts into the water and put a lid on the pan, leaving the heat on high until the water returns to the boil. After 3 minutes, strain the sprouts and shake off any excess water.
- Rinse under cold water for a moment to stop the cooking from residual heat and then allow to cool.
- Core and slice 2 dessert apples – tossing the slices immediately in the lemon juice to prevent them turning brown.
- Add to the cooled sprouts.
- Chop 2 oz (56 g) of walnuts and add to the sprouts and apple.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon wine vinegar with 4 tablespoons olive oil, salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
This Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe serves 4 as a side dish or part of a meal.