Ingredients for Leek, Potato and Stilton Soup:
- 6 – 8 leeks (depending on size)
- 1 medium onion (or more leeks if not liked)
- 1 largish potato (I used a Sarpo Mira)
- 2 cloves of garlic (if liked)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 oz butter or olive oil
- 2 pints hot vegetable stock (or 1 pint hot vegetable stock and 1 pint buttermilk (I did this as I’d just made some butter)
- 4 ozs Stilton cheese
Method for Leek, Potato and Stilton Soup:
- Clean and chop the onion/leeks, heat the oil/butter and sauté them in it for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Crush the garlic if used and stir into the leeks/onions.
- Peel and chop the potato into small, thinnish chunks and add to the pan. Gradually pour in the buttermilk and allow to come to the boil. Then add the vegetable stock, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid, bring back to the boil, and then reduce to simmer for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are very soft.
- Crumble the Stilton and stir it into the hot soup. Discard the bay leaves.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve hot. Makes about 8 portions so we had some and froze the rest. If it’s a little on the thin side, add a bit of cornflour mixed with some water or milk. A dash of single cream added at the end before serving goes well.