Ingredients for Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts:
- 8 oz (225 g) chestnuts
- 1 lb (450 g) Brussels sprouts
- 1 -2 oz (28g -56g) butter
- ¼ pint (145ml) vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper
Method for Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts:
- Using a sharp knife, slit the chestnuts at the narrow end. Place them on a roasting tray and put in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for 10 to 15 minutes until the skins burst. Peel whilst still hot.
- Take the Brussels sprouts, preferably smaller rather than larger ones, and peel off any loose or yellowing outer leaves. Rinse and drain. Do not follow the traditional way of cutting a cross into the base or they will turn to mush.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the chestnuts and cook until they are coated with the butter. Pour in the stock, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the sprouts. Season with salt and pepper. Re-cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until the sprouts are just tender.
Banish soggy sprouts forever! You can also fry some bacon, cut into small pieces, with the chestnuts.