- 1 lb (450 g) potatoes
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 oz (225 g) cabbage
- 8 oz (225 g) carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 oz cheese (preferably a mature cheddar)
- Peel, dice and cook the potatoes. Mash and mix with the milk, half of the butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop and cook the cabbage and mix into the mashed potatoes.
- Soften the finely chopped onion in the other half of the butter.
- Dice or slice the carrots, par-boil and drain.
- Spread a layer of mashed potatoes in the bottom of a shallow greased dish. Arrange a layer of fried onions on top, then a layer of carrots. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of potato.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle on top and bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (190°C/375°F) for about 50 minutes until the top is crusty and golden.
Note: You really need the the cabbage, potatoes and onion but a different veg than carrots can be used – whatever you have at hand.