A superb leek and potato soup that is traditionally served cold.
Ingredients for Vichyssoise:
- 2 lbs (900 g) leeks (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 2 medium sized potatoes (diced)
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- ½ pint (285 ml) single cream
Method for Vichyssoise:
- Chop the onion finely and fry lightly in the butter.
- Add the sliced leeks and peeled potatoes cut into small cubes.
- Stew gently in the butter for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to near boiling point, season, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the leeks and potatoes are cooked.
- Put through a blender or sieve.
Can be eaten hot or cold.
To serve hot – transfer back to a clean pan and reheat gently, add the cream and test for seasoning.
To serve cold – stir in the cream, chill and serve with a sprinkling of chopped chives.
Freezes well. Stop at putting through a blender, don’t add the cream, pack into plastic containers.