Ingredients for Elderflower Champagne:
- 50 elderflower heads – (if you pick flowers in the morning they should smell slightly of bananas, if picked in the afternoon/evening there will be an aroma of cats piddle! Both work, but bananas are best)
- 6 lb bags of caster sugar
- 11 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 50 pints of cold water
- 11 large lemons zested and juiced
Method for Elderflower Champagne:
- Pick the elderflowers when fully out and shake to remove insects.
- Place the flowers in a cloth bag,
- Seal it and put it into the water with the sugar, vinegar, juice and zest from the lemons. (use plastic buckets)
- Mix well, cover and stand for 72 hours.
- Remove bag of flowers & strain into bottles (use screw top bottles) and leave in cool larder for 2 weeks, releasing the fizz every couple of days or the bottles will burst.
- Serve very chilled.
Note 1: You can halve all ingredients to make less.
Note 2: To make cordial use some or all of the mixture before bottling and add an equal amount of sugar, boil till reduced by half.