Ingredients for Elderflower Champagne:
- 50 elderflower heads – (if you pick flowers in the morning they should smell slightly of bananas, if picked in the afternoon/evening there will be an aroma of cats piddle! Both work, but bananas are best)
- 6 lb bags of caster sugar
- 11 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 50 pints of cold water
- 11 large lemons zested and juiced
Method for Elderflower Champagne:
- Pick the elderflowers when fully out and shake to remove insects.
- Place the flowers in a cloth bag,
- Seal it and put it into the water with the sugar, vinegar, juice and zest from the lemons. (use plastic buckets)
- Mix well, cover and stand for 72 hours.
- Remove bag of flowers & strain into bottles (use screw top bottles) and leave in cool larder for 2 weeks, releasing the fizz every couple of days or the bottles will burst.
- Serve very chilled.
Note 1: You can halve all ingredients to make less.
Note 2: To make cordial use some or all of the mixture before bottling and add an equal amount of sugar, boil till reduced by half.
Use some of your home grown fruit to make your own supply of fruit drinks, both soft and alcoholic. What are Fruit Syrups & Squashes? Syrups are strained fruit juices, sweetened with sugar, whilst squashes have part of the fruit tissue included. ...