Ingredients for Chilli Vinegar:
- 10 – 15 chillies (preferably red) depending on your taste
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar or distilled white malt vinegar
Method for Chilli Vinegar:
- Trim the chillies, split open and remove the seeds. Take care not to touch your eyes after handling the chillies.
- Bring the vinegar to the boil and add the chillies. Return to the boil.
- Pour into a wide-mouthed warm sterilized jar.
- Cover tightly and leave to stand in a sunny place for at least a month, shaking occasionally.
- Strain through muslin and pour into a sterilized jar.
- Seal and label.
Adds interest to a salad dressing and can be used in stews, soups, sauces etc.
Makes about 570 ml (1 pint) of Chilli Vinegar.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars
Home made flavoured oils and vinegars are very easy to make and are, generally, flavoured with herbs but stronger flavoured ingredients such as chillies and garlic can also be used. In the case of vinegars, fruit is also often used. Garlic flavoured oil...
Articles, information and tips on using oils and vinegars. People have used oils and vinegars for flavouring and storing foods for thousands of years. You have to wonder who first had the idea of using spoilt wine as a condiment or putting those...
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...