A 2lb cake will easily feed 8 people with healthy appetites. This cake also helps to use up the Summer glut of courgettes.
Ingredients for Courgette and Nut Cake:
- 185g walnuts and pecans mixed
- 500g grated courgettes
- 250ml oil
- 170g demerara sugar
- 3 eggs
- 310g self-raising flour, sifted (I used 275g wholemeal + 2.5 tsp baking powder topped up with white SR)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- a splash of milk, if necessary
Method for Courgette and Nut Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas Mark 3
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. (I used an 8″ x 10″ tin plus 6 muffin cases for overflow)
- Mix together courgettes, oil, sugar, eggs. Add the chopped nuts.
- Gradually add the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add a splash of milk to the mixture to add a bit more wetness if needed.
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45mins until a cake tester (or knife) comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
(If you bake them as muffins, then they need 25-30 minutes, but check them with a skewer to ensure that they are done.)
- Let the cake cool in the tin.