With cucumbers, it seems that you go from none to that many you don’t know what to do with them! Here’s a way of preserving the glut. This recipe will make about 4 lbs of pickle.
Ingredients for Cucumber Pickle:
- 3lbs cucumbers
- 3 oz cooking salt
- 12 oz soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large onions
- ¾ pint wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 dessert spoon mustard seeds
Method for Cucumber Pickle:
- Wash the cucumbers and slice very thinly into large bowl.
- Add the onions, finely sliced and sprinkled with salt, mix well and leave to stand for 3 hours.
- Rinse thoroughly in running cold water and put into large saucepan, add the vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer until the mixture is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar and spices, stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar and bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- Pour into a large bowl and leave to cool. Pot the pickle in sterilized jars and cover tightly.
This recipe will make about 4 lbs of pickle.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. We’d suggest eating within 6 months though. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information