Another way to use up some of those green tomatoes and delicious as well!
Ingredients for Cucumber and Green Tomato Relish :
- 2 lb (900 g) green tomatoes
2 lb (900 g) cucumbers
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 oz (175 g) white sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) white vinegar
Method for Cucumber and Green Tomato Relish:
- Chop all the vegetables finely. Put in layers in a large bowl, sprinkling each layer with the salt. Leave to stand overnight.
- Tip into a colander and drain well.
- Put the vinegar, sugar and spices into a pan and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and add the vegetables.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture is fairly stiff but still moist.
- Pack the relish into hot, clean, sterilized jars, right to the top.
- Cover and seal immediately.
- Label when fully cool.
Makes 3 -4 lbs (1.4 kg – 1.8 kg) of Cucumber and Green Tomato Relish. Ready in about 4 weeks.
More information on making relishes
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...