Another way to use up some of those green tomatoes and delicious as well!
Ingredients for Cucumber and Green Tomato Relish :
- 2 lb (900 g) green tomatoes
2 lb (900 g) cucumbers
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 oz (175 g) white sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) white vinegar
Method for Cucumber and Green Tomato Relish:
- Chop all the vegetables finely. Put in layers in a large bowl, sprinkling each layer with the salt. Leave to stand overnight.
- Tip into a colander and drain well.
- Put the vinegar, sugar and spices into a pan and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and add the vegetables.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture is fairly stiff but still moist.
- Pack the relish into hot, clean, sterilized jars, right to the top.
- Cover and seal immediately.
- Label when fully cool.
Makes 3 -4 lbs (1.4 kg – 1.8 kg) of Cucumber and Green Tomato Relish. Ready in about 4 weeks.