Ingredients for Red Cabbage and Onion Pickle:
- 1½ lb (675 g) red cabbage
- 8 oz (225 g) pickling onions
- 3 oz (85 g) salt
- 1 pint (570 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 oz (56 g) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 medium piece of root ginger
- 6 black peppercorns
Method for Red Cabbage and Onion Pickle:
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, wash well. Cut away the tough inner core and then shred the cabbage into ½” (1 cm) shreds.
- Peel the onions and leave whole.
- Layer the cabbage and onions in a bowl with the salt. Leave for 24 hours.
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Pack into hot, clean, sterilized jars.
- Put the vinegar and sugar into a pan. Roughly chop the root ginger, break the cinnamon stick, and put into a small muslin bag with the other spices. Tie and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the boiling vinegar over the cabbage and onions, cover and seal.
- Label when cool.
Makes about 3 lb (1.7 kg) of Red Cabbage and Onion Pickle. Ready after 1-2 weeks and goes particularly well with all type of sausages.
For More Information on Pickles & Vinegars