This is a good recipe as it is cooked in the microwave and not for hours in a preserving pan on the hob. Like all chutneys it is best kept for a few months to mature and mellow.
- 12 oz green tomatoes, chopped
- 12 oz cooking apples , peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz raisins
- 4 oz dates, chopped
- 4 oz dried ready to eat apricots, chopped
- 2 tspns salt
- 2 tspns mixed spice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 oz soft dark brown sugar
- three quarters of a pint spiced malt vinegar
- Place tomatoes, apples and onion in a large bowl, cover and cook on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Stir in raisins, dates, apricots, salt, spice, garlic, sugar and vinegar.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring several times.
- Spoon into warm sterilized jars and seal. Label when cold.
- Keep for 3 months to mature before eating.
Yield approx 3 LB. Microwave on Full Power