It’s not just green tomatoes that you end up with a glut of. In a good year you can find that you’ve enough ripe tomatoes to stock a shop! Use this recipe to take up some of the surplus.
Ingredients for Tomato Chutney:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) ripe tomatoes
- 1½ lb (675 g) cooking apples
- 1 oz (28 g) salt
- 1½ pints (900 ml) vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 oz (56 g) mixed pickling spice
- 2 teaspoonfuls ground ginger
- 6 oz (170 g) brown sugar
Method for Tomato Chutney:
- Skin and slice the tomatoes, Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Put into a pan with the salt, vinegar, ground ginger and sugar. Add the pickling spice and garlic tied in a piece of muslin.
- Bring to the boil and then cook until thick.
- Pot into clean, hot, sterilized jars and seal whilst still hot.
- Label with contents when fully cooled.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg) Tomato Chutney.
For More Information on Making Chutneys & Preserves