This Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney Recipe is nice for using up the end of season rhubarb which tends to be a little tough.
The ginger flavour is distinctive but not over powering. The two do work well together.
Ingredients for Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) rhubarb
- 1 lb (450 g) onions
- 4 oz (112 g) sultanas
- 1 lb (450 g) brown sugar
- ½ oz (14 g( salt
- 2 teaspoonfuls ground ginger
- ½ teaspoonful pepper
- 1 pint (570 ml) vinegar
Method for Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney:
- Wash, dry and trim the rhubarb and cut into 1″ (2.5 cm) lengths. Peel and chop the onions,
- Put the rhubarb, onions, and all the other ingredients into a pan and slowly bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently until cooked and the chutney is thick.
- Turn into hot, clean, sterilized jars and seal at once.
- Label with contents when fully cooled.
Makes about 4 lb (1.8 kg) of Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney.
Rhubarb & ginger do work well together – see this video recipe: Rhubarb & Almond Crumble
For More Information on Making Chutney