This onion pickle doesn’t keep very well but that’s rarely a problem as it gets eaten so quickly.
Ingredients for Onion Pickle:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb (450 g) onions – peeled and sliced
- 3 or 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (muscovado)
- 2 oz (56 g) prunes – chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 fl oz (112 ml) red wine
- 4 tablespoons water
- salt and ground black pepper
Method for Onion Pickle:
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. Add the onions and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with the salt and pepper and then strip the sprigs of thyme and add to the onions along with the bay leaf and sugar.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the onions sticking, until the onions are very soft and dark.
- Add the chopped prunes, vinegar, wine and water and continue cooking over a low heat for another 20 minutes or so until most the liquid has evaporated – removing the bay leaf before the end.
- Leave to cool slightly and then pot into sterilized jars.
This pickle needs to be refrigerated and used up within a month.
Makes 1 to 1¼ lbs (500g) of Onion Pickle. Better to use smaller jars and use one at a time than a big jar of onion pickle.
More Information on Pickles