Sweetcorn & Runner Bean Relish Recipe submitted by Spana
This relish is a good accompaniment for chicken, fish and vegetables and delicious in pasta salads and fried rice. Try mixing with chopped ham as a filling for jacket potatoes.
Ingredients for Sweetcorn & Runner Bean Relish:
- 6 medium corn cobs
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- half teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pint white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4oz sugar
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 small-med red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1lb runner beans, sliced and cut into 1inch pieces
Method for Sweetcorn & Runner Bean Relish:
- Cook cobs in boiling water 3mins then plunge into cold water. Cut kernels from cobs.
- Make a paste with the flour, mustard, turmeric and 2 tablespoon vinegar.
- Heat rest of vinegar with salt and sugar, then stir the paste into hot vinegar.
- Add chopped onions, peppers, beans and sweetcorn to vinegar.
- Simmer 20 minutes for crispy vegetables, 30 minutes for tender. I do 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Pot into hot sterilised jars.
This relish, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep well in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.