This recipe is probably over 200 years old.
Ingredients for Mathews’ Marrow Pickle:
- 4 lb marrow flesh
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 pints malt vinegar
- 8 oz sugar
- 1 oz powdered ginger
- 1 oz powdered mustard
- 0.5 oz powdered turmeric
- 2-3 dried hot chillies
- 6 whole cloves
Method for Mathews’ Marrow Pickle:
- Skin, de-seed and chop marrow into roughly quarter inch cubes.
- Chop the onion finely and add to the marrow. Add salt and mix well.
- Place in a colander, standing in a bowl. Put a plate and a heavy weight on top. Leave to drain for 8 – 24 hours.
- Discard the water that collects in in the bowl.
- Heat vinegar, sugar and spices in a large saucepan and add the marrow.
- Simmer until tender (usually 20 – 30 minutes).
- Whilst hot, pour into sterilised hot jars and seal.
Useful for over-grown courgettes as well as marrows
Delicious with cold meats and cheese.
For More Information on Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...