Ingredients for Zucchini (Courgette) Loaf :
- 3 zucchinis (courgettes) medium size
- 8 gr salt
- 280 gr plain flour
- 9 gr baking soda
- 7 gr ground cinnamon
- 08 gr ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 265 gr castor sugar
- 235 ml vegetable oil
- 10 ml vanilla extract
- 180 gr chopped walnuts
- 145 gr golden raisins
Method for Zucchini (Courgette) Loaf:
- Soak raisins in warm water for 30 mins. Strain and set aside
- Clean the zucchinis and trim off ends but do not peel. Shred or grate with a medium size shredder. Sprinkle the zucchinis with a tsp of the salt and place in a bowl after mixing well. Place something really heavy on the top of the zucchinis in the bowl and allow to sit for 20 mins to purge itself of liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 175C. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 loaf tins and set aside.
- Set aside 2 tbls of the flour. Sift together the remaining flour, soda, spices and the remaining ¼ tsp salt.
- Beat eggs for 3 minutes. Add sugar, a little at a time and continue beating for another 5 minutes. The mixture should be light in colour and thick. Continue beating and pour in the oil.
- Empty the zucchinis into a sieve and squeeze to release the juices.
- Add vanilla to the egg mix and then zucchinis.
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix just until the dry ingredients are mixed in. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 2 tbls flour, nuts and chopped raisins and mix together to coat. Fold into the batter. Pour into prepared tins.
- Bake for 1 hour or until testing skewer comes out clean.
- Cool a little in the pans and then remove and put onto a cake rack to cool completely.
Can be served with butter.