We have grown some lovely beetroot this summer and have looked for alternative ways to eat them other than plain boiled or pickles and chutneys.
I remember having this many years ago but couldn’t remember the recipe so tried to make it from memory and it’s delicious!
Ingredients for Beetroot and Carrot Salad :
- 1 good sized raw beetroot peeled and grated
- About the same amount of grated carrot
- 2 spring onions finely chopped (or equivalent amount of red onion or shallot to taste)
- A fistful of sultanas or raisins
- 1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil (I use less because I’m watching my weight but it gives the salad a lovely gloss)
- Juice of half a lemon (or to taste)
- 1 good tsp of chopped basil leaves – preferably fresh but dried is ok if there is time to leave it to stand before eating
- Salt and pepper
Method for Beetroot and Carrot Salad:
Just mix everything together. It actually improves if you can let it sit for a couple of hours or even overnight to let the flavours merge.
I’ve used an orange instead of a lemon before and you could add apple for a variation.
Serve with other salads or on its own. Delicious with brown bread and butter! Serves 2 but easy to double up.
This is delicious, healthy and easy to make – no cooking!