I sent this recipe to The British Farm Council in the 1980’s (Are they still going?)
Ingredients for Plum Cake:
- 5 oz butter
- 5 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of a small lemon
- ½ lb plums
- 1 oz sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaped tablespoon ground almonds
Method for Plum Cake:
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar. Add the eggs and sift in the flour. (Wholemeal is good ).
- Add the vanilla extract and zest and juice of the lemon.
- Fold all together – do not beat the flour in.
- Spoon in to a lined cake tin and bake for 15 minutes at Gas 5/375f /190c.
While that is happening (don’t forget to put your timer on):
- Wash and dry the plums, cut them in ½ and remove the stones.
- In a polythene bag put the sugar, cinnamon and almonds.
- Throw the plums into the bag and shake well so the plums get a good coating of the mixture.
- When the 15 mins is up, open the oven door carefully and ” throw ” the plums onto the cake – spread them out as much as possible .
- Now bake the cake for another 30 minutes (or until it is cooked – skewer test ).
Note: If you use wholemeal flour add 1 level tsp of baking powder.
This is lovely served hot or cold with Greek Yogurt and honey.