Ingredients for Spiced Pickled Eggs:
- 16 small, fresh free-range eggs (bantam eggs are ideal)
- 1¾ pints (1 litre) white wine vinegar or white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons chopped root ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
Method for Spiced Pickled Eggs:
- Roughly crush the black peppercorns and allspice berries. Put into a muslin bag with with the root ginger.
- Pour the vinegar into a stainless-steel or enamelled saucepan, add the spice bag and salt.
- Bring to the boil on the hob, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan and leave for about 2 hours before removing the spice bag.
- Boil the eggs for about 10 minutes. Put into cold water to cool and then remove the shells.
- Divide the eggs between clean, sterilized jars and pour on the cold spiced vinegar, making sure that the eggs are completely immersed in the liquid.
- Seal with airtight lids.
- Label with date and leave for 4 – 6 weeks before opening.
If you keep hens and have a glut, this is an ideal way to handle some of the surplus.
For More Information on Pickling Vinegars
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...