Ingredients for Mixed Pickle:
- Equal quantities of cucumber, cauliflower and marrow
- A few shallots
- Spiced Vinegar
Method for Mixed Pickle:
- Wash and drain the vegetables.
- Break the cauliflower into small sprigs, peel and cut the cucumber and marrow into cubes.
- Peel the shallots and leave whole.
- Put into a bowl in alternate layers with salt and leave to soak for 24 hours.
- Rinse under cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Pack into clean, sterilised jars and pour in cold, spiced vinegar.
- Cover the jars and label with contents and date.
For an extra kick, add 1 dried chilli pepper to each jar.
This mixed pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for 6 months in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
A good standard pickle that goes well with a traditional ploughman’s lunch
For More Information on Pickles