Ingredients for Caramelised Onion Chutney :
- 3 lbs onions (peeled and chopped very finely)
- 12 oz dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 fluid oz malt vinegar
Method for Caramelised Onion Chutney
- Heat the oil, add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, lemon juice and spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and then simmer, uncovered, for about 3 hours until the onion is soft and the liquid is reduced.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
- Label with contents when fully cool.
Makes about 3 lbs of Caramelised Onion Chutney.
This recipe was given to us by a friend who lives in France. She served goose liver pâté on thinly sliced French bread toasted in a dry frying pan, topped with caramelised onion chutney. It was truly a taste sensation mixing the pâté with the sweetness of the chutney.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information