Ingredients for Jerusalem Artichoke Pie:
- 8 ozs (225) g) shortcrust pastry
- 1 lb (450 g) Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g flour)
- ½ pint (285 ml) milk
- 1 small bunch white seedless grapes
- 10 dates
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of mace
- 1 hard-boiled egg
Method for Jerusalem Artichoke Pie:
- Peel and boil the artichokes in salted water for 10 minutes until they are almost cooked. Drain.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, stir in the flour and add the milk, stirring all the time until it is smooth.
- Let the sauce simmer gently for a few minutes and make certain it is not too thick.
- Add the Jerusalem artichokes, grapes, dates (stoned and halved) salt and pepper and pinch of mace to the sauce, stir and pour into a deep pie dish.
- Slice the egg over the top.
- Roll out the pastry to the required size and cover the top, pressing down at the edges. Brush lightly with milk.
- Bake on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (375°F/190°C) for 30 minutes or until a golden colour all over.
Best served hot straight out of the oven with a green salad. Serves 4.