It takes far longer to make this delectable conserve than it does to eat it! Get going quick when there’s a lot of strawberries about.
Ingredients for Strawberry Conserve:
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of either very small strawberries or halved hulled larger strawberries
- 2 lbs (1 kg) granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 tablespoons of bottled Lemon Juice)
Method for Strawberry Conserve:
- Place alternate layers of strawberries and sugar into a bowl; add the lemon juice, cover and leave to stand overnight.
- Next day, transfer the fruit and sugar to a pan, bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour back into the bowl, cover and leave again for another day.
- Finally, transfer to a pan, bring to the boil and simmer until setting point is reached. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little until the fruit begins to sink in the syrup. Stir and pour into small, hot sterilized jars and cover immediately.
This Strawberry Conserve Recipe makes about 3 lb (1.5 kg) of delicious conserve. This is to strawberry jam what a racing car is to a mini! Especially good with wild Alpine strawberries but any strawberry will serve well to produce this conserve.
A family favourite recipe.