This jam works better with smallish, slightly under-ripe strawberries as they have more pectin. You could still have a problem though so it may be as well to use jam sugar or add about 7 fluid ozs of pectin stock
Ingredients for Strawberry Jam:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) strawberries
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) sugar
Method for Strawberry Jam:
- Hull the strawberries, wash and drain well.
- Put into a preserving pan with the lemon juice..
- Simmer gently until the fruit is soft.
- Test for pectin.
- Add the sugar, stirring until it has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5-10 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the scum and leave to cool slightly so that the fruit will not rise in the jars.
- Pot and seal while still warm.
Makes around 6 lbs (2.7 kg) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making