An old favourite recipe of my mother-in-law.
- 2 lbs runner beans
- 4 or 5 onions
- 1 ½ lbs demerara sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons english mustard powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornflour
- 1 ½ pints malt vinegar
- Peal onions and cut small.
- Slice beans and boil together with onions in salted water until both are tender.
- Strain and drain well then cut up small or put through mincer.
- Add sugar and 1 ¼ pints vinegar and boil for 15 mins.
- Mix turmeric, mustard and cornflour with the remaining vinegar add to the bean & onions
- Boil for another 15mins.
- Allow to cool and put in jars.