- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) damsons
- ¼ pint (145 ml) water
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) sugar
- Wash and wipe the damsons. Pick over to remove stalks.
- Put into a pan with the water and simmer gently until the fruit is soft, occasionally pressing the damsons against the sides of the pan to break open and release the stones.
- Remove the stones.
- Test for pectin.
- Add the sugar, stirring until it has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the remainder of the stones as they rise to the surface.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal while still hot.
Makes around 6lbs (2.7 kgs) of jam.