This Damson Jam Recipe is easy to make as damsons have loads of pectin and enough acid for a good set.
Ingredients for Damson Jam:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) damsons
- ¼ pint (145 ml) water
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) sugar
Method for Damson Jam:
- Wash and wipe the damsons. Pick over to remove stalks.
- Put into a pan with the water and simmer gently until the fruit is soft, occasionally pressing the damsons against the sides of the pan to break open and release the stones.
- Remove the stones.
- Test for pectin.
- Add the sugar, stirring until it has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the remainder of the stones as they rise to the surface.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal while still hot.
Makes around 6lbs (2.7 kgs) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...