Cranberry Jelly is the traditional accompaniment to the Christmas Turkey.
To make it really special, put some jelly into an ovenproof dish and warm slightly (we use the microwave on low for a few seconds) then mix in a little brandy.
Ingredients for Cranberry Jelly:
- 2 lbs (1 kg) cranberries
- ¾ pint (450 ml) water
- 1 lb (450 g) sugar to each pint (600 ml) of juice obtained
Method for Cranberry Jelly:
- Wash and drain the cranberries.
- Put the fruit into a pan with the water and bring to the boil. Stew until the skins have broken.
- Test for pectin.
- Turn into a jelly bag and leave to strain for 3 to 4 hours.
- Measure the juice and heat in a pan.
- Add lb (450 g) warmed sugar to each 1 pint (600 ml) of juice, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the jelly sets when tested.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.
General Information on Making Jelly Preserves