Ingredients for Vegetable Pasty:
- 350 g (12 oz) shortcrust pastry
- 8 oz (225 g) potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion
- 8 oz (225 g) mixed vegetables, e.g. carrots, peas, beans etc.
Method for Vegetable Pasty:
- Peel or prepare all the vegetables, cutting the root vegetables into small cubes.
- Put the vegetables into water and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes, then drain well and season.
- Divide the pastry into four pieces and roll each piece into a circle about 20 cm (8 in) across. Divide the vegetables between the pastry rounds, dampen the edges and draw the edges of the pastry together to form a seam across the top; pinch the edges together with your ringers to give a fluted edge.
- Place on a baking tray and cook at the top of the oven for 15 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6, then reduce the heat to 180°C, 350°F, mark 4 and bake for a further 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
As well as ordinary shortcrust pastry you can try this recipe with a cheese pastry
Depending how you make the pastry, this recipe is suitable for vegetarians.