Apple Jelly is a bit bland on its own so additional flavouring is added by picking from the suggestions below or to suit your own taste. Apple carries flavour really well.
Ingredients for Apple Jelly:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) crab or cooking apples
- 2 pints (1200 ml) water
- Stick cinnamon/a few cloves/root ginger/strips of lemon rind/fresh mint
- 1 lb (450 g) of sugar per pint of juice obtained.
Method for Apple Jelly:
- Wash the apples and wipe. Cut into quarters but do not remove the skin or core.
- Put the fruit into a pan with the water and the choice of additional flavouring tied in a piece of muslin.
- Stew until the fruit is pulpy.
- Test for pectin.
- Remove the flavouring ingredients.
- Turn into a jelly bag and leave to strain overnight.
- Measure the juice and heat in a pan.
- Add 1 lb (450 g) warmed sugar to each pint juice, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the jelly sets when tested.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.
General Information on Making Jelly Preserves