The cooking apples and plums in this mixed fruit jam make up for the low pectin in pears in this recipe.
Ingredients for Mixed Fruit Jam:
- 1 lb (500 g) cooking apples
- 1 lb 8 oz (750 g) conference pears
- 8 oz (250 g) red or yellow plums
- 8 fl oz (250 ml) cold water
- 2 lb 8 oz (1.25 kg) granulated sugar
Method for Mixed Fruit Jam:
- Peel and core the apples. Place the peel and cores on a square of muslin and tie loosely (this helps to release extra pectin).
- Cut the flesh into small pieces. Peel, core and dice the pears. De-stone and quarter the plums. Put all the fruit, the muslin bag (or pop sock!) and the water into a pan.
- Cook gently for approx 20 minutes until the fruit is soft.
- Test for pectin. When a firm clot is obtained, remove the muslin bag and squeeze out all the liquid. Add the sugar, stir until dissolved and then boil rapidly, stirring occasionally until setting point is reached.
- Cool slightly, then stir and put into hot sterilized jars and cover.
Makes about 4 lbs (2 kg) of mixed fruit jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...