Newcastle Brown Ale Stew Recipe Submitted by Patricia
Ingredients for Newcastle Brown Ale Stew :
- British Beef braising steak, cut into cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- Sliced carrots, 2 to 4 depending on how much you like carrots
- Sliced mushrooms, about a cup full
- Sliced celery, a couple of stalks
- Salt pepper, Herbs de provence and thyme
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Newcastle Brown Ale
- Potatoes or new potatoes
Method for Newcastle Brown Ale Stew:
- Heat a large Dutch oven with a bit of oil and fry off some braising steak that is cut into cubes.
- Fry about 5 minutes and then add a chopped onion and some chopped red pepper, sliced carrots, sliced mushrooms and sliced celery and fry for another 5 minutes until just softened.
- Sprinkle on some flour about 1 tablespoon, salt and pepper to taste. Chopped herbs of choice ( I used thyme and herbs de Provence). Add 1 cup beef broth and 1 cup Newcastle Brown ale. ( I think any ale or beer would work).
- Heat to boiling. Now I added about 4 to 5 rather thickly sliced potatoes to the top and then popped the lid on and into the oven for about 1 hour at 180C.
- Take lid off and let potatoes brown for about 20 minutes at 200C, or you can serve the stew with a side dish of new potatoes.
I serve with a side salad of round lettuce leaves, chopped apples, walnuts or pecans and crumbled Stilton with a Caesar dressing.