For an extra kick, put 3 or 4 chillies in the muslin with the ginger. Marrow and Ginger makes a great breakfast jam, which certainly wakes your taste buds up.
Ingredients for Marrow and Ginger Jam:
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) marrow
- 1 lb (500 g) cooking apples
- 2 oz (50 g) root ginger
- Juice of 2 lemons (or 4 tablespoons of bottled Lemon Juice)
- 4 lb (1.8 kg) sugar
- 5 fl oz (140 ml) pectin stock
Method for Marrow and Ginger Jam:
- Peel the marrow, discard the seeds and cut into cubes.
- Peel and core the apples and cut the flesh into cubes.
- Place in pan and steam until tender and then mash.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Bruise the root ginger and wrap in a piece of muslin and place in the pan.
- Add the sugar, simmer and stir until dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as the pulp thickens.
- Stir in the pectin stock towards the end.
- Remove the muslin bag and pot into hot sterilized jars immediately and cover.
Makes about 6 lbs (2.7 kg) of jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...